The Picasso Problem

Monday, December 19, 2011

They say that for every Picasso, there are 1,000 starving artists. What sucks about it is it's true. What sucks more about it is it also applies to other aspects of life, particularly the arts.

For every one Justin Bieber, there are 1,000 aspiring teens posting videos of themselves on YouTube also hoping to be discovered and gain fame and fortune.

For every one J.K. Rowling, there are 1,000 struggling and frustrated writers who earn only enough to make ends meet. Some don't even get published.

For every one Vice Ganda, there are 1,000 gay stand-up comedians toiling the nights away at Malate and squeezing their brains dry for new jokes.

For every one American Idol Top 24 Finalist, there are 1,000 aspiring singers who line up at auditions, get brutally criticized by Simon Cowell and often end up going home with crushed homes.

For every one Alodia Gosiengfiao, there are 1,000 cosplayers who scrimp just to have their latest costumes sewn and don't even have enough funds and resources for their own cosplay wardrobe, let alone hire their own photographer, stylist and even manager.

Here's a frustrated/aspiring blogger whose dreams of a fruitful writing career were crushed by the harsh realities of life. But on the other hand, I'm happy with my being a seller of auto parts. My needs are met and I get to help the people important to me which in my opinion is more fulfilling than getting published for a measly amount.

Leave a Reply

Friendly Reminder

This blog is aimed to express my opinions on various topics under the sun, as well as to encourage meaningful conversations as the title suggests. Comments (and friendly arguments) are more than welcome but they will be strictly moderated if they become inappropriate, offensive or discriminatory in any way.

While I try to make my entries accurate and impartial, I don't claim to be an expert on anything and I apologize in advance for any mistakes or offenses I've made.

About Me

My Photo
Jiea Dee
Journalism graduate who became a seller of auto parts rather than a writer, her dream career. She has then revised her plan to make turn writing, instead of a living, to a hobby.
View my complete profile

Search This Blog

Loading...